Imagine being homeless in a country where you don’t even know the language. Through Welcome Home, Ray of Hope provides short-term housing and support to newly arrived refugees from every ethnic and religious background. Read Noelia’s story
Welcome Home Refugee House
In 2015, Ray of Hope adopted Welcome Home as a permanent part of its ministry. In our Refugee House, which opened in September 2016, we provide a safe home for families and individuals during their first year in Canada. We partner with churches and local agencies to provide emotional and spiritual support, health care, English language training, advocacy, and more.
Ultimately, our goal is to provide the support and skills that will enable refugees to lead healthy and productive lives, whether they remain in Canada or are forced to return to their home country.
*Note that we do not engage in overseas refugee sponsorship and are not able to reply to inquiries from overseas related to refugee sponsorship.
How You Can Help
We welcome volunteers who would like to walk alongside refugees as they adjust to life in Canada and we have many opportunities for both groups and individuals. Other opportunities to help include:
Through this program, churches, small groups, or families can:
- Sponsor either a single room or a family unit for one year.
- Be as involved as they wish with the refugees living in their sponsored room.
- Share their talents in a variety of ways, such as cleaning, painting or furnishing rooms; befriending or praying for refugees; or donating to support the sponsorship.
- Participate in a flexible way that respects each member’s schedule.
- Support refugees without incurring an overwhelming obligation.
Welcome Home Internship
The Welcome Home Interns:
- Build relationships with residents through personal support and assistance
- Supervise the daily operations of the Welcome Home house, including programming.
- Provide leadership in spiritual care and support through sharing the Christian faith, while living in a multi-faith environment.
Read “Living with & Learning About Refugees”, to hear from two of our interns about their experience.
To learn more about our refugee housing program, please contact us at 1-519-340-0570